Thursday 2 July 2015

Maths investigations!

We have had fun (and frustrations) solving problems and trying out investigations in Maths this week.

The children have worked collaboratively and methodically to solve them all. There is one, however, that remains unsolved! It was the source of much angst, chewed pencils and screwed up pieces of paper today! Here is.....Albert Square!


A lot of the children managed to find rows of houses that added up to 15, with a different number of people in each house, but their total number of residents didn't match 36!



How could this be approached in a different way? Who will solve the Albert Square problem......?

Good luck!

7 comments:

  1. I have FINALLY worked this out. It was extremely frustrating!!!
    6 1 8
    2 T 4
    7 5 3
    Was my final answer. I'm 99.99% sure its correct

    ReplyDelete
  2. the answer is 6 1 8 15 on each row and 36 in total
    2 4
    7 5 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I have a great time at my new school and at my new house but I really miss all of you! when I joined my school i started in the middle group of maths,literacy and reading but now i am in the highest group in maths and literacy. My new teacher said i settled really well in my new class.In the new school (Bierton CE School ) we don't have year five or year six classes but we have Y5 and Y6 classes mixed together.(basically year 5 and year 6 children are in the same class.


    Maths investigation

    Bottom left house 8
    bottom middle house 1
    bottom right house 6
    right middle house 2
    top right house 7
    top middle house 5
    top left house 3
    left middle house 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aleks, it's great to hear from you. We all miss you but are glad that you have settled into your new school. All the best from all of us!

      Delete
  4. Miss Davies, I thought today was the last day, but then I checked the calender! Noooo, all my precious things! Is it okay if on the first day of school if I come into the classroom before school actually starts and take all my things..?
    Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hira! We missed you on the last day of term! Don't worry- I have put all of your things (including your report) into a bag and you can collect it when you come back in September. Have a lovely summer and see you soon.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Miss Davies! Have the best summer ever x

      Delete